Wednesday 16 March 2016

Allurement: Visual Style Inspirations

When Jamie pitched his idea, he mentioned a few inspirations of the script and I thought we could adopt some of their visual styles and name them as influences. Another blog post can be found here of character inspirations.

Being Human (2008-2013)

A werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost try to live together and get along.



Jamie included a picture of the American version on his pitch and I was immediately drawn to it. Being Human is my favourite TV series of all time (but the UK version, not the American one). After discussing with Jamie, he put it on as he wanted the witches to blend into modern day society despite them being thousands of years old and supernatural creatures. It would also be nice to include some gritty cinematography like this.

Charmed (1998-2006)

Three sisters discover their destiny - to battle against the forces of evil, using their witchcraft. They are the Charmed Ones.



As soon as I heard Jamie's idea, the main TV series that it reminded me of is Charmed. I haven't seen this one for a while but I have a basic understanding of it being a huge fangirl of it in my childhood. These are witches trying to blend into society, much like Jamie's. Again, some use of gritty cinematography (maybe a bit too gritty being produced in 1998?)

The Vampire Diaries (2009- )


A teenage girl is torn between two vampire brothers.



The Vampire Diaries have the magic style with herbs and candles like those scripted and like what I can imagine with grimoires and small chanting like this (but we obviously can't set fire on this scale in our film). 



I also really like this scene and want to do something similar in the montage or when Gartha is casting the spell and pages from the books fly around. I'm not quite sure how to achieve this (hair dryers? Leaf blowers?) This requires further research. 


Supernatural (2005- )

Two brothers follow their father's footsteps as "hunters" fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.



Supernatural also have the magic style with herbs and candles like those scripted and like what I can imagine with grimoires but I was wanting chanting in a different language which the clip doesn't show (but is evident in the series).

Stardust (Vaughn, 2007)

In a countryside town bordering on a magical land, a young man makes a promise to his beloved that he'll retrieve a fallen star by venturing into the magical realm.

 

Mike suggested that we look at Stardust since the witches are thousand of years old and we could show them as secretly old (maybe through mirrors?) but look youthful. I also like to use the lead witch as a character inspiration for Gartha which will be discussed in another blog post. 

American Horror Story: Coven (2013)

An anthology series that centers on different characters and locations, including a house with a murderous past, an insane asylum, a witch coven, a freak show, and an enigmatic hotel.




I love American Horror Story and this example only just came to me today! I have never actually seen this series before as I could not get into it but I will try it again as it is a key example that is similar to Allurement (based on female witches in a modern day setting. Light and dark and also blurred lines between the two). It also has some very good examples of characters similar to Gartha and Lerysa (and possibly June?)

Alice In Wonderland (Tim Burton, 2010)

Nineteen-year-old Alice returns to the magical world from her childhood adventure, where she reunites with her old friends and learns of her true destiny: to end the Red Queen's reign of terror.



The above scene portrays the good vs. evil of Allurement really well and is how I can picture the final battle looking. I have also listed the White Queen as inspiration for Lerysa, but not the Red Queen for Gartha as she is too cruel. Gartha has some kindness in her despite being the 'dark witch'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment