Friday 29 April 2016

Captain America: Civil War - Review

*warning, this review may contain mild spoilers!*


Today I went to Sunderland to watch the new Captain America film. I didn't go to Hartlepool as 1) no cool popcorn buckets 2) the only 3D times they had was early in the morning or late at night 3) I wanted IMAX. Well, I thought it would be in IMAX but when I went they were showing it in "master image" idk if that's the same thing???

Anyways I got my limited edition bucket and cup, and also brought along my Cap 3D glasses I won one time. 



But the cup didn't fit in the cup holder in the seats as it was square. They haven't thought this marketing strategy though.


I was very glad I saw the 3D version as it wouldn't have had the same impact in 2D. Some bits were especially scary in 3D though and added to the whole 'suture' or multiplex experience of the film. Especially my favourite scene, the helicopter fight. It was so tense and the debris was very scary in 3D (I know it isn't real but I still flinched)

https://marvelupdates1.wordpress.com/2015/11/25/russo-brothers-reveal-details-on-captain-america-civil-war-trailer-scenes/

The fight choreography was superb in the film. However, the film was mostly composed of fights. Yes, I know it's an action movie and everything, but the details why they were fighting was mostly glossed over, to make room for more fight scenes. 

http://www.dailysuperhero.com/2016/03/captain-america-civil-war-behind-scenes.html

My favourite fight scene was probably the one just between Iron Man, Cap and Bucky. It was intense, well edited (maybe a bit too fast as I didn't know where to look at times and what was happening) and had a good backstory to why they were fighting. I loved this plot twist and added more depth to the fights.

http://giphy.com/gifs/captain-america-civil-war-the-winter-soldier-NxbAtqOgNmtUs

I found that humour in the film was lacking, which was a bit upsetting (again this was probably cut to make room for more fight sequences). The funniest bit was probably Iron Man spitting out some malt loaf. But Spider-Man, Ant Man and Hawkeye were 1000% sass and that was just as good. I love how Hawkeye is a fully developed character and had a strong back story (probably stronger than the other Avengers!) I was also very happy with Spider-Man, but when I first saw him, I was a bit 50/50 about the actor and found him a bit annoying. But hey, Spider-Man is annoying I guess! And he grew on me.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3888099

Overall, a great action packed film. Not to be watched for dialogue/scripting but for the fight sequences. This is a big statement for me to say this but Civil War is the best film with (most of) the Avengers in so far. I know I'm a big Loki fangirl and Loki isn't in this, but I loved all the heroes (well, most) coming together and how they got on. 

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment