Tuesday 3 October 2017

Minor Ideas

My initial idea for the Minor module was looking at 16mm since I missed out on it last year for the Digital Pathway. However, with further consideration, as well as a delay in recieving the briefs, I don't think it fulfils the Learning Objectives. It does expand my 'personal practice', but it not very experimental (since last year did it, but it would be experimental for me) and would not link to my Final Major and would not act as a foundation. I have also lost a bit of enthusiasm towards it and I am not sure if I would finish it, recieve and process the stock in time for the November deadline.

I had a good think and brainstorm last night of other possible ideas and I have a very strong backup. One thing that let Circus down last year was mise-en-scene in the very last scene. It's also something I find very interesting. I will be looking at how mise-en-scene can tell emotionally driven narratives, with a focus on props. I was debating whether to hire out a room (maybe half the studio, so lessons can still continue) so I can present it at the end like an exhibition, and also control the lighting and have a projector to show the film compared to the props. By doing this, I can show how film has brought the props to life and analyse why. Can props itself have emotion, or is it the factors outside it that brings it to life (e.g. camera work, lighting). Example, Hamlet's skull. Is it the actors performance that makes it tell a story, or it it the history behind it (André Tchaíkowsky wanted his skull to be used in Hamlet). Or are props best left unsaid and slowly draw the viewers attention to it? My notes seem a bit all over the place at the minute, but it'll become clear when I pitch on Friday (see below). 


No comments:

Post a Comment