Tuesday 24 October 2017

How-To Video Research

My 3-5 minute film to present at the end of the module will be an instructional video. I felt like this would tie up all the footage of the props together and also show what I have been researching and doing for my Minor well. I looked at previous how-to videos online that tend to do fairly well as research, with a focus on film youtubers and how they present theirs.



This one is kind of how not to do comedy. However they do show how to do three point lighting set ups well. It feels scripted with mostly visuals. It also has 1 million views (and is also the go to video for our lecturers) so it must be doing something right. They make it look very simple, with no convoluted words.



Apart from the load of ads in the video, Film Riot do very well on YouTube. Their presenter is frequent in all their videos (apart from some guest speakers) and is very casual and friendly, sometimes funny and sarcastic. 




Every Frame A Painting is one of the most popular Film youtube channels. This one is voice over only and focuses on visuals (which is what I will do). He is very informative and is quite clearly scripted. There's not a lot of humour, but there is a lot of detail. I would have liked this much in mine, but I didn't want to take up half my presentation time on this video. 



This is what came up when I just searched for "editing tutorials". It has nearly 2 million views and is basically a load of screengrabs and a narration. I will be doing something similar but with filmed props rather than screengrabs of the software. I could do this with After Effects if I have time. The narration is informative, casual, but no humour.


Overall, a lot of the videos do not include humour (or include it well) so I will be focusing on this for mine and in the script. Visuals from films tend to do well too (but the films will be my filmed props and some behind the scenes stuff of how to film them). My narration will also be informative, like all of the above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment