Sunday 13 May 2018

MNIJ - Rights Approval and Ethics

When writing the script for My Name is John we had a few ethical problems from the start as the mocumentary genre can be seen as derisive and making a film about self help groups can be a bit tricky. When I got the first draft back, it was a bit darker than I would have liked and was very problematic. There was also a few ideas of having innuendos. I intended it to be a funny and light hearted comedy for all ages and festivals (plus John would not be up for that!), so with permission, I tweaked it a bit and inserted more subtle jokes and received more positive feedback. John also really liked the script from what I've heard which is awesome and it's fantastic he was so on board and willing. 

While writing the script, I used the name Julie as it's the name of John's wife and intended the part to be for her. However she wasn't up for it so I asked John if I should change it but he was okay with keeping it in.

For editing, sound and music are always a concern for copyright. We used royalty free music twice and double checked all the legal bits. We didn't use any sound effects so that was one less thing to worry about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment