Saturday 23 September 2017

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - Review

The cinema wasn't empty, a lot more people came in during the ads. Also excuse the dirty shoes.

I've been looking forward to watching this but also been a bit skeptical with the bad reviews (most of it said it was just gadgets, but they were not the main focus) and also the fact it looked like it was mostly based in the US by the looks of the trailer. The film is very British so I was worried with the introduction to the Stateman, it would loose it's very regional humour. It didn't. It was very well done. But I was won over as soon as Merlin gave a voiceover before the film saying to turn your phones off.

The start of the film was straight into the action. The soundtrack that went with the action was one of the best things about the film. It made me smile and actually say "yeSSSS" out loud. Very well choreographed and I was in awe with some of the moves. There was also a great cameo by a famous musician (no spoilers, I liked it as a surprise). 

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/543528248769957502/?lp=true

The film was a lot darker than the first in my opinion, with a lot of gore and the villain felt real (and also a lot of swears, some unnecessary in my opinion, but some served humour which was great). 

The acting in the film was exceptional (apart from the famous musician, but hey they're a musician). Colin Firth is great at comedic timing as well as dramatic moments (however I do think his big reveal that Harry was alive should have been kept under wraps), but the star of the show was Taron Egerton (who knew how much of a amazing actor he is! I love him). The dog was also a good actor 10/10. 

http://www.punchdrunkcritics.com/2017/09/review-kingsman-golden-circle-is-brash.html

However, I'm not sure if this was just this cinema or if it was intentional, but the edges of the film were fuzzy and it was very off putting. I'm not sure if this was because it was made for 3D and I saw it in 2D? Or just a fault with the screen (or my eye sight). Some of the camera movements were a bit jerky (if I do say so myself) and mostly handheld (no standout shots). However I'm only a student so I have no right to question this really.

Overall, there was a lot of jaw dropping moments, I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole film. Very well written and acted (I can never listen to John Denver in the same way), camerawork let it down. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely watch again. Better than the first one.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment