Thursday 21 July 2016

Ghostbusters - Review

Who ya gonna call?

My friend made me see the new Ghostbusters today. I was still very wary all week and on the bus there from being such a fan of the original, but hey I ain't afraid of no ghosts, so I tried to keep a fresh outlook. My friend is also a die-hard Ghostbusters fan and this is her second time seeing it, so it must have been good. I finally agreed to go because the 'sheetboot' interests me and so does Chris Hemsworth.

http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/ghostbusters-melissa-mccarthy-kristen-wiig-kate-mckinnon-and-leslie-jones-reveal-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-characters-750787

On the topic of Hemsworth, we may as well talk about him more, to like grab the attention of all you readers. Chris Hemsworth plays the 'dumb blonde' stereotype (normally a female stereotype) really well and it was certainly different to see it flipped on it's head. He was by far the funniest character with many memorable moments; "that guy went out the wrong door!" and "an aquarium is a submarine for fish" being a few. He gets quite a lot of screen time, a lot more than Annie Potts in the original with quite a big moment near the end of the film (I won't say anything because spoilers) but I really enjoyed it and was nice to see him be badass.

http://rebloggy.com/post/mine-mygif-chris-hemsworth-ghostbusters-chemsedit-gif-ghostbusters-kevin-the-rec/143432597180
Same Chris, same.

Even though Kevin was awesome, my favourite character was by far Holtzman- the crazy genius of the group. She was fun and relatable, with a great fashion sense and stood out from the crowd. I want to be her. Her badass moment at the end and with and developing the gadgets were fulfilling and enjoyable. Watching the gadgets evolve was interesting and fun. Even though Holtzman was fab, Patty was annoying with her unfunny "is it a race thing?" jokes and "the power of Patty compels you!". She tried too hard to be funny and really brought the team down, in my opinion (it's not a race thing! Just bad characterisation!)

http://poetzproblem.tumblr.com/post/147650688728

The one thing that annoyed me the most during the movie (apart from two kids sneaking in for 10 minutes then leaving) was the 3D. I loved the 3D for the ghosts at the end of the film (I ducked a few times) but the 3D was really weird and it went over the bars of the film (hard to explain, you have to see it to believe it). One scene where it particularly bugged me was when Abby got possessed and Patty was slapping her. The necklace of Patty came out from the main frame and was clearly on the bars of the film. It really distracted me and I didn't like it at all. 

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/3/11150960/ghostbusters-interview-paul-feig-katie-dippold-trailer-analysis

The film had soooo many cameos! I loved it! I knew the original Ghostbusters were making an appearance, but Sigourney Weaver was a surprise, and so was Ozzy Osbourne. I loved each one and were nice Easter Eggs for the film. Fall Out Boy (one of my fave bands) also did a remix of the theme tune and when it came on I WAS SO INTO IT YES LIKE BOOM THE ECTO VAN AND FALL OUT BOYYYYY IN THE DISTANCE! A great song (Missy Elliott's bit isn't amazing but I can live with it because Fall Out Boy) and fits perfectly with the film.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-we-learned-about-ghostbusters-from-its-trail-1762666819

I'm sure all the kids that went to see this are scarred for life now because even I was scared by the ghosts. The Ghostbusters logo ghost was SO CREEPY and those balloons SHEEZ like I don't have a fear for clowns but I do now. I'll take Rowan any day over them. Talking of Rowan (the villain), I loved his characterisation even though his back story is a little weak; destroys the world as he is bullied? Hmm. Bit much if you ask me. But it became clearer that he wanted to rule the world with ghosts as the new inhabitants. Still a bit much just because he was bullied (although now I think about it, some films do this, like The Incredibles). He, however, was really clever and felt real. Even though ghosts don't exist, the science behind it seemed plausible. The ending of the battle was a bit weak in my opinion, it was figured out too quickly and is similar to endings in the past such as Avengers Assemble and Big Hero 6.

https://www.inverse.com/article/15809-new-ghostbusters-trailer-offers-first-footage-of-new-villain

One thing that confused me was why did two of the characters suddenly get grey hair? Did I miss something? Was it so the actors could dye their hair? Or was it because "they had seen a ghost"? 

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I had a smile on my face all the way home from it (can't remember the last time that happened! Probably when I went to see The Incredibles!) The post credits scene was intriguing and open for a sequel. Some annoying bits, but it didn't take away from the whole film experience and I still felt great afterwards. Some funny moments, great cameos and just a great film.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment