Wednesday 27 December 2017

Script Development

For My Name is John, I am the script editor since I pitched the film and already have a few basic ideas I can share with the main screenwriter (which is their main credit so they will be uploading each draft to the VLE). The first draft the screenwriter produced was a little dark for my liking and had some ethical issues (LO1), so I edited it to include a few more jokes (with permission from the screenwriter) and some scene reordering so the narrative was clear and made sense. We have been very collaborative and think it ran rather smoothly. We sent it to the main chat and people seemed to like the second draft, so I sent it to John as time is off the essence. 

The next step for the script that I do as director is make a shooting script. I have never made one before and is one of the requirements in the module handbook. So I did some research into the difference and this is what a shooting script should contain or be;
  • Written for a director- more of a production document. 
  • Camera direction
  • Title shots and credits
  • Scene numbers
  • Props in capital letters
  • Title page is more detailed- title, written by, contact, subsequent writers, producer contact info, draft or revision dates
I have used Celtx and it was hard to format the title page (I think I have done it to the best of my ability). I will upload it to the VLE group.

--------------------------------
MAYES, T. 5 Key Differences Between Spec and Shooting Scripts. http://scriptwrecked.com/2009/11/20/5-key-differences-between-spec-and-shooting-scripts/ (05.01.2018)
RILEY, C. The Hollywood Standard: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Script Format and Style. Michael Wise Productions, 2004. p.p.131-137

No comments:

Post a Comment